Thursday, March 19, 2009

WHAT IS THAT THING?

This my friends is a box oven. It is an outdoor cooking technique that GS teaches as part of "Advanced Troop Camp" training. Leaders must have this training in order to take their troops "primative camping." Now please keep in mind that not only did I grow up as a Girl Scout right here in SW Florida, but I have also been "primative camping" since I was a kid and have taken my own kids on many successful trips to "parts unknown." But being a good leader with a desire to take my troop to the woods, I took ATC and thought I learned to make an oven out of a cardboard box. So off to camp we go and our box oven went up in flames. A few years later I am asked to do a demonstration of outdoor cooking skillls and somehow "Box Oven" is in the list of things to demonstrate. Being a "Good Scout" I gave it another try and guess what happened? Yep, Another Bon Fire! So I've burned up 2 of these contraptions and have decided that I can eat just fine without a box oven. Who want's to bake in the woods anyway? So another couple of years pass and I'm honored that I have been asked to help train "ATC" to new leaders, I tell them up front that I am not allowed to do Box Ovens without adult supervision.(That's my adult holding the fire extinguisher...) I am proud to say that we made great tasting turn-overs in that box and I now have a "certification card" for this skill. I am also the proud owner of a Coleman Propane Oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment