Thursday, March 19, 2009

Waymarking Thoughts

I am completely enjoying Waymarking and all the learning opportunities that it offers me. I'm discovering our local area's history, which is really kind of sad since I've lived here most of my life and much of it is new info for me. I guess we learn when we're ready. We're also reliving the years that we've been here, "Do you remember when?" I've come to discover though, that some people just take themselves (or this game) way too seriously. I wonder why some feel the need to respond to declined waymark posts with "mean spirited" comments? I can think of a few examples out of my own experiences. I will try to resist the urge to "defend" the waymarks as I review those comments. I have been called "lazy", been told to buy a new camera, and had single word denials followed by !!! with no explaination at all. Now mind you, these experiences are not the norm. Most responses simply ask for corrections, clarifications or more information and are constructive and helpful. These I learn from. The others simply make me not want to post to that category anymore. Great are the reviewers who offer constructive comments. Greater still are the ones who take the time to write a small note when a waymark is approved. I always look at the emails to see what the reviewer had to say. It helps me know what to do or not do next time. I think most of us try to give their waymarks the best description we can. "I think this place is neat...You will too." Granted, there isn't always much information available about some places and what the heck do you say about a McDonalds? Thanks to the reviewers out there who offer praise and guidance to us "newbies!"
Well, I supppose I need to go to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment