Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Uncle Remus Museum - Eatonton, GA




These photos were seen in the Flickr group Waymarking
- The online Scavenger Hunt.


I just posted about 10 waymarks from The Uncle Remus Museum in Eatonton, GA. We rolled past here on our way home from South Carolina. (I think I'm finally caught up on the back-log) Bill was kind and turned around to stop when he saw my excitement. When I was a little girl, about 4 or 5, my grandmother read these stories to me. She read them Over and Over, because I loved them so! After stopping here on the way home from vacation, I looked at these books through an adult readers eyes. Because of the unique use of dialect, they are difficult reading. (for me anyway.) I've always read to my kids, but never these stories. Sad, I'm not sure why...Of 4 kids we have one that reads like we do. It's time to turn her on to these stories. She won't let me read to her anymore, now we read together side by side and then talk about what we've read. Hey! Maybe I can get her to read them to me....again! I've also learned alot about the Disney movie "Song of the South" that was inspired by Joel Chandler Harris' books. Produced in 1946, the film received an Oscar for Best Song. ("Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah") The film and its songs provided the inspiration for the Splash Mountain attractions in the Disney Theme Parks.
This motion picture hasn't been seen in theaters in over 20 years, and remains unavailable for general sale in the U.S. and Canada in ANY format. The film is considered controversial and not "Politically Correct."
So...I found a place to order a copy of the movie online, and it arrived yesterday. I guess I just don't see things the same way as Snopes or NAACP. For the life of me I can't see what's so not PC about it. I enjoyed the movie as a kid and still enjoy it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment